Fresh Homemade Golden Apple Juice - It's a Bajan Delight!
For those of you who don't know what Barbadians (Bajans) call Golden Apples, it's a fruit known as a June Plum, that can be described as having the flavor of a cross between a young mango and a pineapple. Needless to say it's deliciously tangy!
I don't know if November is Golden Apple month, but lately my uncle has been bringing bags and bags of Golden Apples for us and since we can't eat all, why not make some Golden Apple Juice - a Bajan favorite?!
So here's what I've been making today. Give it a try, you'll love it!
Golden Apple Juice
Golden Apples/June Plums (not too ripe) (the quantity is up to you - if you're like me, it's too many to count)
Freshly squeezed lime juice to taste (optional)
Brown sugar to taste
1. Wash golden apples and cut into pieces (leave the skin on for better tasting juice).
2. Place golden apple pieces in a blender and add enough water to puree. Blend on high speed until pureed.
3. Strain puree using a strainer and a large spoon. You may need to do this 2 or 3 times.
4. Dilute juice with water and add sugar and lime juice and angostura and spices to taste. Stir and Strain again.
5. Chill and shake before pouring. Enjoy!